Wednesday 15 February 2012

norealtheme

I'll be honest, I struggled to think of a weird, witty and wonderful name for my blog. I thought to myself what do I want to talk about, what things do I want to share, how do I want to portray myself? The answers are I don't know, I don't know and I don't know! I'm likely to want to talk about lots of things (probably more than once ...). norealtheme is born! I'm hoping a theme might develop, then I'll be the proud owner of an ironically named blog.

No better time for my first blog than right now.

Today I shared a BBC news story about unemployment on facebook. So far I've had no response to my opinion on this story. I don't know if that's because people aren't really interested, or if people just don't agree with what I've said. For arguments sake, let's go for the latter.

FYI, this was the story http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17015699.

Personally, I think I made a valid point. Some people, and I stress some people, appear as if they think a job will just fall into their lap. I'm afraid that won't happen, or it might, you'll just be waiting a long time. Job hunting is difficult and not particularly pleasant; but, is it so wrong to expect some people to be a little more pro-active? You could volunteer, to add structure to your day and gain some new skills (also, it's actually quite rewarding to give your time to help others). You could 'tart up' your CV (within reason obviously), to catch an employer's eye and secure that interview. You could request feedback after each and every interview, to prove you are self-aware and improve your interview technique.

Along with all the other 'job hunting stuff', I did all these things and since leaving college have never been without a job. I still volunteer, I still apply for jobs to get experience of interviews and I still seek regular feedback to make sure I am doing the best I can.

It's worked for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment